[Virtualacorn-list] New VRPC Installation Doesn't Start

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Wed Jul 9 09:45:40 BST 2014

On Tue Jul 8 21:14:58 BST 2014, John McCartney j.mccartney at
blueyonder.co.uk  sayeth:

> So my query is, are the instructions in the link
> only valid for Win 8?

Forgive me if I've missed it, but I'm unclear as to what version of
Windows your self-build machine is running.

We have no experience of either W7 or W8, so all we've done is to
suggest pointers where you might look for an answer. AFAICT from the
Forum posts and Support articles, the problem of not having an
ATAPI-compatible optical drive (if that is indeed the problem) seems
to apply equally to W7 and W8 - but that's only a presumption from
what has been said.

But to clarify the potential solution, IF it is a drive compatibility
problem (and going back to the earlier Forum posts), I understand that
by removing the atapicd.dll module from the Plugins folder, that will
then allow VirtualRPC to start up. And I see Mike T's post at 22:02
yesterday does mention that.

The downside is that the optical drive will not then work 'normally'
under RISC OS (i.e. under CDFS), but you can still set up a HostFS
mount for it and access the CD/DVD contents. If you specifically need
to access a 'RISC OS only' disc, the following Support article
explains how to do it:
http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/support/articles/135/index.htm

If all that still doesn't help, I'd suggest a trawl through the
VirtualRPC website. Open the Home page on
http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/index2.htm  type atapicd.dll into the
'Search VirtualAcorn' box and your browser should lead to various W7/8
links. Good luck!

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.

-----