[Virtualacorn-list] Self-build PC

lists Stuartlists at orpheusinternet.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 09:55:41 BST 2014

Thanks John and others.

John's saga made interesting reading and echoes the kind of experiences
many of us have had.

I was interested in Alan's comments regarding the speed of W7 compared
with XP.

"Vista and Win7 both need at least 2Gb of RAM. If you have the RAM,
Win7 is then faster than XP, and massively faster than Vista."

I am currently running XP on an Athlon based machine with 2x1GB of RAM.

The Asus M2V motherboard has space for 4 banks of memory and I did once
try a third GB but it didn't seem terribly happy. (My XP is 32 bit so can
only handle 3G max.)

I have contemplated W7 and been following discussions regarding available
actions following the ending of support for XP.

The computer my daughter has just replaced, was also built on an M2V
motherboard with 2x1G RAM so I could put that RAM in my own computer,
bringing it up to 4G, and try W7 pro 64 bit.

I have already purchased a copy on Fleabay and have a spare 40G hard drive
I could do a clean install on.

--
Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world