[Virtualacorn-list] Self-build PC

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Sun Jul 6 21:55:57 BST 2014

>>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4528321/TheSaga.pdf

>>> You have been warned!

>> Interesting reading, though not much of a surprise.

<snip>

>> You could have saved qquite a bit of download time on the
>> patches by manually downloading and installing the
>> service packs. They replace a lot of the patches, so
>> doing patches followed by service packs repeats a lot of
>> downloading.

> I had anticipated/hoped the service patch would be the
> first download.

The downloads seem to come in the order they were released, first the
50 or so patches, then the service pack that rolls them up together,
and so on.

>> Once the have installed the latest service pack, enable
>> automatic downloads.

> I have never enabled automatic downloads, I prefer just to
> be notified. That way, the three machines in our household
> don't run the risk of being stiffed by the same dodgy
> update. I always do them in sequence after the first has
> proved successful.

You can set patches to download and notify, which means that once you
click Install, they just install, without having to wait for the
download to finish first.

<snip>

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire