[Virtualacorn-list] Start-up oddity

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Mon Dec 29 23:59:04 GMT 2014

John Woodhouse <mail at JohnWoodhouse.co.uk> wrote:

>Since then, having altered nothing, the error has not re-appeared and
>everything is back to normal on subsequent starts.

You haven't exactly altered nothing, in the sense that the host OS
(Windows?) is possibly not in the same state as on that occasion.

RO has to read stuff from files; maybe something - a backup utility,
anti-virus? - prevented it from reading a file.

>Has anyone seen this before? It is a new one to me. The error message
>reads "Machine startup has not completed successfully: 'Route: socket:
>Protocol not supported' " 'Ignore' & 'Retry' box options.

VRPC (if it's that)'s internet feature work by talking to the Windows
internet stack; maybe the host had a problem then?

If you don't already run !Reporter to log EVERY boot then maybe you should,
as at least a reporter boot log should show whereabouts this error came
from.  See: http://www.wrocc.org.uk/howto/article.php?id=bootlog

You might also eg look at the Windows event logs for the time concerned.