[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 External drives

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Tue Aug 12 21:00:27 BST 2014

In article <54360a10c1brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> Brian Jordan  wrote:
> I have connected a USB external hard drive to my WINDOWS 8.1 machine. It
> has two partitions which show as mounts on my VA and I am able to read
> and write to and from both.
I am using a USB HDD for my VRPC mounts (W8.1), but they are all on a single
standard partition. Do you actually mean Partition or are they merely Wondows
Folders?

> However I can't delete directories, even empty ones, from the mounts using
> VA. I repeatedly get an error box headed "Moving files" and an error
> message "Error when renaming HostFS::VA......." and an access violation
> message.Weirdly I can routinely both move and rename the offending
> directories.
I also have Windows folders mounted as drives on VRPC, but I manage those &
the VRPC drives in VRPC without issue. So...

> Presumably I have missed a setting somewhere in Windows but I can't find
> it. Can someone throw a little light?
...my instinct suggests you're not running VA as Administrator or you haven't
give file permissions to the current user.

YOu can try running VA as Administrator to see of that makes any difference.

Alternatively, ff your VA drives are actually folders, right click in Windows
Explorer over the folder & select Properties, then the Security tab. Select
your user name & check the permissions. Then Edit as necessary.

HTH

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

If Nuclear tests are safe why don't the French do them in France?