[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 External drives

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Tue Aug 12 19:40:40 BST 2014

In message <54361bdc0abrian.jordan9 at btinternet.com>
          Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> In article <916184F6EC334A668BBA0814BA3AE0D6 at philipsdesktop>,
>    T.O.M.S. <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

> [Snip]

>> However, normally you can delete the relevant file or folder under
>> Windows, without complaint from the system. Does this work on your
>> machine? And, if so (although a bit of a pain), is that an acceptable
>> workaround? HTH.

> [Snip]

> It's the only way I have found to work Alex. I just felt, as so often
> happens, that I was missing a trick somewhere.

> Thanks for the thought

I suspect it is to do with the well-hidden Windows Owner attribute.
Each file and folder has an owner. The permissions given to
"creator/owner" are usually more extensive than those given to
"users", which is generally everyone else.

If VRPC presents itself to Windows as a different user from the file
owner, you might well see this. When you are using Windows yourself,
you are probably running as the file owner.

The only way to find out the owner (In Windows 7 at least) is to right
click on the file, and then go to Propertires, Security tab, Advanced,
Owner.

Having found the owner, then going back will show the permissions for
that user, and others.

You may need to be aware that the permissions of a directory affect
the files within it as well - renaming is treated as a delete and a
create, and the directory permissions have to allow that.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/