[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 External drives

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Tue Aug 12 17:31:24 BST 2014

On Tue Aug 12 14:27:01 BST 2014 , Brian Jordan brian.jordan9 at
btinternet.com sayeth:

> I repeatedly get an error box headed "Moving files" and
> an error message "Error when renaming HostFS::VA......."
> and an access violation message.

I dunno about Windows 8, but an 'access violation' message in similar
circumstances under Windows XP is usually an indication that the
file/folder has become Read-only (under Windows).

I don't think this can be changed within VirtualRPC. Neither Protected
nor Unprotected under Access is ticked and selecting Unprotected has
no effect.

However, normally you can delete the relevant file or folder under
Windows, without complaint from the system. Does this work on your
machine? And, if so (although a bit of a pain), is that an acceptable
workaround? HTH.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.