[Virtualacorn-list] Moving VA

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Wed Apr 23 09:09:10 BST 2014

Hello folks

On Tue Apr 22 22:59:49 BST 2014, Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
sayeth:

>> That sounds fine Peter, but note that you will have to give the
>> new mount a different name for the moment (e.g. 'HardDisc5'),
>> otherwise it probably won't be registered (i.e. I don't think you
>> can have 2 mounts on the RISC OS icon bar with the same
>> name).

> Sorry but that is rubbish, I have harddrive4 and harddrive5 and
> used to have Harddrive6 at one time. Works without issues.

No need to be sorry Chris. It's evidently a misunderstanding which, if
resolved, can help punters including ourselves to understand what's
going on.

So to clarify what I said (and I've just double-checked it on 2 of our
machines), it seems it is not possible to have 2 mounts on the RISC OS
icon bar with the same name (unless, as Charles says, it's an external
Share mount).

Specifically, if you select Tools-Options and then try to set up a
*new* mount with the same name as a pre-existing mount (e.g. the
default 'HardDisc4'), and then click on Add, Apply and OK, all that
will do is to overwrite the set-up details for the *existing*
'HardDisc4' mount.

The danger is that, although this seems to be a fail-safe routine, you
may inadvertently change the set-up data on the existing mount - e.g.
unticking the 'Bootable' box - and which will be overwritten. So I
guess in that case, the next time you start up VirtualRPC, RISC OS
will most likely fail to boot up from the !Boot file within
'HardDisc4'. Easily fixed - but to be avoided.

So from that I'm pretty certain that, when setting up a new mount, we
must ensure it is given a unique name, e.g. 'HardDisc5', 'HardDisc6',
'BackUp', or what have you.

Chris, picking up your previous point about making the changes in the
relevant Model.cfg file, under Windows, I agree that it would be
possible to do so. Indeed, that's what we suggest as an alternative
procedure if, say, you simply wish to change the name of an existing
mount.

However, we would not recommend using that method if you're doing
anything more complex, like adding new mounts, or re-arranging their
order on the RISC OS icon bar, unless (to quote Aaron's favourite
phrase) "you really know what you're doing". The reason for saying
that is that it's very easy to omit or delete either a single ' quote,
or a " double-quote, and then find things don't work. (I'm speaking
from the experience of helping various punters who have broken their
set-up, and mending things without the need to re-install VirtualRPC.)
HTH.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.

-----