[Virtualacorn-list] Problems upgrading 4.02 to 4.39

Peter Young pnyoung at ormail.co.uk
Sat Nov 24 14:44:52 GMT 2012

On 24 Nov 2012  "T.O.M.S." <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

> Hello Folks

> On Sat Nov 24 12:48:02 GMT 2012 Peter Young pnyoung at ormail.co.uk
> sayeth:

>> maybe I'll have to buy the Select version of VRPC;

> Er, don't understand... If you've got the VirtualRPC RISC OS 4.02 to
> 4.39 uprade CD, I think that means you do already have the 'Select'
> version, as at the point it was released as RISC OS v4.39 (i.e.
> VirtualRPC-AdjustSA), some years ago.

Ah, but the whole problem is that I can't get the upgrade from 4.02 to
4.39 to work. The installer keeps telling me that it can't copy the
old boot because the directory is locked. Looking at it in Windows
it's shown as read only, and nothing I've been able to do so far will
change that. Apparently the dealer I got it from, already installed on
a laptop, installs it under a user account instead of as
administrator. I've been given advice on what to do about this, but
nothing doing yet. I feel a phone call to the dealer coming on on
Monday.

> AFAICT, you can upgrade to subsequent (= post-Adjust) versions of
> Select only by installing RISC OS 6 over the top of
> VirtualRPC-AdjustSA.

> My apologies if that's cr*p. Can anyone confirm or correct me on the
> above please?

Well, up to a point ...

>> presumably one can have two copies of VRPC on the machine, as
>> long as they're not both running at the same time?

> For test purposes, we have multiple versions installed on some of our
> machines. And it's certainly possible to run them at the same time in
> separate Windows windows (if you see what I mean).

> Any one can then be put into full-screen mode if desired.

Thanks for this; it may come to two versions yet.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Ta     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.
        /  \__/ \_/ | \| \__/   \______________ pnyoung at ormail.co.uk