[Virtualacorn-list] Slow VA startup

Chris Newman cvjazz at waitrose.com
Mon Apr 30 18:12:10 BST 2012

Hi,

My Virtual Acorn SA 4.02 on my Windows XP laptop seems suddenly to take ages
to boot up.

Two possible things that I did recently may have contributed.

I did a clean up of the disc using CCleaner & Wise DisK cleaner. I have done
this many time s before with no ill effects. The discarded files are still in
my Recycle bin in case I have to put any back.

I changed from Avira anti-virus to Avast. (I was getting fed up with messages
from Avira about joining them on Facebook & apparently Avast is the better
app).

When I load Virtual Acorn I get the usual black screen with white text
thus....

RISC OS 4.02 128MB
StrongARM Processor
HostFS Filer .... (then there is a long pause, about 58 secs & a big hour
glass appears)

After that I get....

Boot:Utils.UnplugTbox_   (Then another long pause)

Then.....
Removing Toolbox. Iconbar, ColourDbox, Colour menu, etc. etc. (couldn't get
it all recorded..) This goes on for ages more then....

Boot:Choices.. 2 or 3 things go past here & hey presto I get to desktop.

Is this the normal order of events? I've never really taken that much notice
before.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards,

--