[Virtualacorn-list] Failure of ShareFS with a Mac OS Lion host

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Sun Nov 20 09:55:24 GMT 2011

On 19 Nov at 18:43, David J. Ruck <druck at druck.org.uk> wrote:

> On 17 Nov 2011 Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:
>
> > A little while ago I upgraded my Mac to Lion, Mac OS 10.7.
> > Unfortunately I could not get ShareFS to work after this, that is
> > not with my Iyonix on the same local network.  Nor could I get FTPc
> > to work any more.
>
> [snip]
>
> > But I still can't get ShareFS to work; I trigger it with an Obey
> > file containing: Share HostFS::HardDisc4 On_MacPro Any views on
> > this, anyone?
>
> If Lion has an internal firewall, you'll have to enable the ports
> ShareFS uses, which are:-
>
> UDP 49152 UDP 49171 UDP 32771 UDP 32770

Thanks for that but Mac, being a helpful operating system, only allows
one to avoid its firewall by Application and has absolutely no facility
for enabling ports.  So I added VirtualRPC to the list but it made no
difference.

Now that I have FTP available again, the occasional need to send files
between Iyonix and VirtualRPC is solved, so I can survive without
ShareFS.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim at powys.org
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/