[Virtualacorn-list] 2 instigations of VA-RPC on same computer??

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Thu Mar 17 11:07:04 GMT 2011

Aaron wrote:

> Yes, that looks correct.

> It is worth me pointing out that some RISC OS apps don't like
> running with more than 128Mb. Anything modern should be OK.

> Aaron (VirtualAcorn)

> Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

Well, setting :
[RAM]
base =  0x10000000
size=256MB

certainly causes problems, not with applications, but with the FILER,
when/if it encounters directories with more than a certain
(undetermined) number of files in it, WHEREAS setting
 [ROM]
base=0
range=16MB

[RAM]
base = 0x10000000
size=128MB

[RAM]
base=0x18000000
size=48MB

does not...

> This problem has been
> noted in the topic 'Filer Problem' posted to
> the VirtualAcorn
> VirtualRPC-AdjustSA support forum.

> More than 255 files in a directory
> will cause the problem. As pointed
> out in the last post of that thread,
> it is a RISC OS problem that is
> corrected in later versions of RISC OS.
> So, one solution is to upgrade
> to RISC OS 6. I decided to spend the
> money and am now using RISC OS Select
> 6.20 with three VA-RPC-Adjust-SA
> systems, all using the Strongarm
> processor model, RAM set to 256MB, and
> none of them have the problem.
> Regards,

> Pete Miller.

Aha, many thanks

I KNEW there was a problem here. So many other skeptics or deniers
around...

But before I splash out on RO 6.2, I would need to know if I can set
256MB RAM on a ARM7500 processor model (because I need
16MB VRAM), otherwise, if not, there is no point for me to go to RO
6.2, since I already have 176MB RAM +16MB ROM set without problems
from the filer.

--

Cheers
Roger