[Virtualacorn-list] Comparison of VRPC on Mac or Windows 7

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 08:54:38 GMT 2011

In message <4D70A10D.8050406 at druck.org.uk>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck at druck.org.uk> wrote:

> On 03/03/2011 18:36, Mik Towse wrote:
>> ROS can register when the mouse pointer enters a window, so surely Windows
>> can do that, too. Unsafe assumption I know, but I have a vague recollection
>> that Aaron was looking into the possiblity that the 2 pointers could be
>> merged or the Windows pointer turned off when the pointer enters the
>> ROS wdw.

> It is possible to do as a 3rd party did with MouseSync.dll as part of
> CallWin32 about 10 years ago when VRPC was still Red Squirrel. It
> seamlessly changed the pointer between the Windows and RISC OS ones when
> entering and leaving the window, and was indispensable to smooth use of
> VRPC.

> However it was broken by an update to VRPC around 5 years ago, and
> despite many promises (see topics on VA forums), this essential
> functionality has still not be incorporated in to the product.

There is a free development SDK kit available from VA now see news
area of website

> It's lack makes VRPC so painful to use, that and the tedious
> registration process means I haven't even bothered to reinstall it on my
> new PC. Virtual RPC has been severely neglected in the pass few years
> with no new features and precious little bug fixing. It needs
> investement or I don't see myself using it again.

Just to correct something Druck, the Registration process has been
streamlined and now done via the website for most users.

Quote:
19/2/2010 - VirtualRPC Unlock Code Requests

Over the last few months VirtualAcorn have been in the process of
altering the unlock code process for our products. This is in response
to the difficulty that some customers have experienced with the
existing process. Despite the correct registration address being shown
in the product registration window we have had customers send e-mails
to all sorts of different addresses, some of which don't even exist or
aren't even even part of VirtualAcorn. Some customers have also had
difficulty in including all the required information thus causing a
delay in the generation of their unlock code. As a result of this
on-going problem we have been testing a number of alternatives and
have now selected the preferred process which includes a dedicated
VirtualAcorn registration website.

After several months trial we are switching over to the new process
from today's date. Customers can still send an e-mail to the address
shown in the product registration window. The new instructions will be
sent via an automatic reply. Any unlock code requests that are sent
directly via e-mail, for example to our "info" e-mail address, will no
longer result in an unlock code being issued. Updated printed
Installation Guides, which include the information on the new process,
are being introduced across our product range.

Our test results have shown that the new system has reduced the number
of incomplete, or malformed, unlock code requests by over 90%. This
has reduced the amount of time that VirtualAcorn staff need to spend
processing unlock codes whilst also ensuring that customers receive
their codes quicker.

End Quote:

--
Chris Hughes
Wakefield RISC OS Computer Show - 16th April 2011