[Virtualacorn-list] Printing the 'VirtualRPC In Use' e-booklet

T.O.M.S. toms at ndirect.co.uk
Sun Mar 13 14:06:35 GMT 2011

Hello folks

New topic - but following on directly from the discussion on
'vrpcinuse supplements'.

On 12 Mar stephen.hull at btinternet.com said:

> Anyone please know how to actually print out the vrpcinuse/pdf?

Maybe a bit of background will help to explain how this printing
problem has come about.

It was never envisaged that the VirtualRPC In Use e-booklet would be
put on-line, as a freebie. But once that was agreed, it was
intentionally presented as a PDF file and in facing-pages,
A4/landscape format for ease of reading (especially the Contents on
pp2-3 and tables on pp6-7).

Page 1 came out on the right-hand side - again intentionally - but
that was only to ensure pp2-3 and pp6-7 were correctly facing pages.
(As I understand it, this is at the heart of the DIY printing
problem).

But at the same time, with a printed and bound A5 booklet available,
for the princely sum of £7.50, it was never envisaged that anyone
would wish to print out their own copy of the e-booklet. However,
clearly the demand is there as we've occasionally been asked about it,
plus the current thread.

For copyright reasons, I regret we cannot supply the original
Impression file.

So my questions are: With the printed and bound A5 booklet being
available for £7.50, is there a genuine need to print out your own
copy? And if so, would a PDF file in 80 separate A5/portrait pages,
plus the cover, assist?

Please note this is only testing the water, and I cannot promise
anything. The document is after all copyright Archive and it is up to
them whether to say yea or nay. But we'll be happy to help if we can
(so no change there).

HTH. Regards to all

Jim Nottingham
pp T.O.M.S.

--
Training, Operations & Management Services

5 Halifax Close
Pocklington
York
YO42 2XF
UK

Hello folks

New topic - but following on directly from the discussion on
'vrpcinuse supplements'.

On 12 Mar stephen.hull at btinternet.com said:

> Anyone please know how to actually print out the vrpcinuse/pdf?

Maybe a bit of background will help to explain how this printing
problem has come about. The revised 'Archive' booklet was completed in
Dec 2008 [sic!] and submitted in Jan 2009 as an Impression file for
printing as an A5 booklet. Hence p1 was *intentionally* on the
right-hand-side (for those of you with the printed job - and assuming
like ours that the cover has fallen off! - you'll see p1 is indeed on
the right, with p80 on the left side).

With no sign of the printed Archive booklet throughout 2009, it was
finally decided in Jan 2010 to put it on-line, as a (further-updated)
PDF file. This was Maybe a bit of background will help to explain how
this printing
problem has come about.
IIRC the printed version arrived some time later (Wakefield?) With a
printed A5 booklet finally available, for the princely sum of £7.50,
it was never envisaged that anyone would wish to print out their own
copy of the e-booklet. However, clearly the demand is there as we've
occasionally been asked about it, plus the current thread.

For copyright reasons, I regret we cannot supply the original
Impression file. However, we have sent out a couple of copies as a PDF
file, in *single-page* A5/portrait format. We asked both recipients to
let us know if they had any success in printing it; neither have
responded...

So my questions are: With the printed and bound A5 booklet being
available for £7.50, is there a genuine need to print out your own
copy? If so, would a PDF file in 80 separate A5/portrait pages, plus
the cover, assist?

Please note I cannot promise anything; it is after all up to Archive