[Virtualacorn-list] Comparison of VRPC on Mac or Windows 7

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Wed Mar 2 09:20:52 GMT 2011

With the recently released VRPCinuse supplements is a ReadMe with this>

<quote>
Contrary to a very unfortunate misconception which has taken hold, the
booklet DOES in large part apply equally to users of VirtualRPC for Macs, as
well as the variants for Windows.
</quote>

I have VRPCs on both Windows 7 and Mac OS X and concur with the above.

The differences of significance, to me anyway, are to do with reliability. I
have always found RISC OS on native hardware to be very stable indeed and
was rather hoping that VRPC would be similarly robust.

The Achilles heal on Windows is the occasional fail to a "black screen"
provoked by a happening within Windows. Two Alt-Enters does restore the
situation, but I did not know that the first time it happened. (HDMI??)
Rather more serious is the terminal "failure to create primary surface"
error also caused by a Windows event, it may be that this is associated with
using VRPC in a Windows window. Other than that VRPC on Windows is stable,
or put another way I have only crashed it once!

VRPC on the iMac has no problems at all with its screen and looks decidedly
impressive at 1920x1200. Unfortunately, all that glisters etc, it does
crash, infrequently perhaps but too often for my confidence. I never found
any consistency to this.

--
David Pitt