[Virtualacorn-list] Triple or quadruple click on Windows7

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Tue Jun 21 06:22:17 BST 2011

In article <mpro.ln3xxw001icfz025k at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>, Jeremy
Nicoll - ml virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> Paul Sprangers <p.sprangers at sprie.nl> wrote:

[Snip]

> In XP, the Events Logs (of which there are several recording different
> types of event in the system) are at Control Panel -> Administrative
> Tools -> Event Viewer.  (I use them often enough that I have a desktop
> shortcut straight to them.)  Under XP there's normally at least
> Application, System and Internet Explorer logs.  The Security log
> records the sort of 'security' info that might concern a corporate
> network administrator, which is why the stuff in it gets turned on (as I
> described in an earlier post) by changing 'Audit' policies on the system.

> I have no idea how the event logs in W7 are organised.  However before
> you try to turn any extra logging on, you need to look at the System and
> Application logs (if they exist) for both the times of the failed starts
> and the failed shutdowns to see if any events are recorded.

In Win 7.
If you open up Control Panel
Administrative tools
There's a short cut to "Event Viewer"

> > > Was the recent install done 'as administrator' or whatever the right
> > > term is for W7?
> > Yes, I installed it 'as administrator'. W7 uses the same term and the
> > same policy.
> >
> > > When you say it fails to shutdown properly, what actually gets left?
> > >  Do you get a fault reported (as Brian reported)?
> > I get exactly the same as what Brian reported.
> >
> > > What happens if (with your machine not connected to the internet)
> > > you shut down your antivirus app?  Do you run any a/v or anti
> > > malware app that has 'real time protection'?  Or indeed a firewall
> > > that regulates what programs may start and what they may do - eg as
> > > Zone Alarm does under 'program control'?  What happens if you turn
> > > all of this off?

> > I run the commercial version of AVG since a few months. Before, I used
> > the free version. Unfortunately, I've no idea how to shut down AVG,
> > other than uninstall it.

> If you have the commercial version surely it comes with a manual?

> Also, not knowing is a bit worrying bearing in mind the oft-repeated
> advice (by software vendors) that a/v software should be turned off
> while installing an app because it can prevent installers from working
> properly.

> [That's to say you download an installer, a/v scan it, disconnect from
> the internet, stop the a/v tool & firewalls etc, do the install, restart
> the a/v and anything else you stopped, rescan the installed components
> (if you think it's necessary)...]

You can do a temporary and timed OFF of AVG.
Right click the AVG Task bar icon.
Open "AVG User interface"
Menu Bar "Tools" "Advanced Settings"
Second item from the bottom in the LH pane, "Temporarily disable AVG
protection."

Going through that you'll get a dialogue where you can set a time limit
etc.

> > If no other suggestion is left, I will give it a try, but I'd rather
> > leave it switched on.

> Yes of course, but if AVG is causing the problem disabling it might
> provide some useful info.

> I'm wondering how well you know the configuration options for your AVG
> software, assuming it has any - after all getting more configurability
> is one of the normal reasons for using a commercial product. Are you
> certain there's nothing VA-related in any option, or alternatively that
> the a/v app hasn't somehow disabled anything VA-related?

There's a lot of AVG settings available in "Tools" "Advanced settings"

Sorry I can add any more to the discussion, but my Win 7 installed
VirtualRPC-AdjustSA works as it should.

Single click from the task bar and double click elsewhere.

One last thought, might be a herring, but worth a mention.
With regard to this Win 7 install, even thought it's installed on a Win 7
machine, it has to be run in Win XP SP3 compatibility mode

That is...
Properties for VRPC
Compatibility
Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Select from the list XP SP3

As I say this might be a herring, but I do remember when trying to run
VRPC in W7 alone it was very problematic.

Dave

PS: In case it gets missed in the mess of interleaving, there's a note
near the top of this posting about Event Viewer in W7.
D.

--

Dave Triffid