[Virtualacorn-list] Windows panes flashing under dead full-screen RO

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Fri Nov 19 10:05:06 GMT 2010

On 18 Nov 2010, Chris Hughes  wrote:
> In message <4694197851.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> On 18 Nov 2010, Chris Hughes  wrote:

 [snip]

> Sounds like you were looking at a beta version, rather then the
> official current release.

Well, whatever it was, it popped up automatically as a download to
install. I did not instigate any search for the download. Would it
offer beta versions for update automatically? How strange if it would.

>> It also said that if we waited a bit longer then an even newer version
>> might be produced that would not require messing about with dicey
>> bits.

> Sounds like you were being advised to wait till the beta version
> becomes the live version.

Possible Chris.

>> [I think it was saying that the present download is a bit like the
>> Iyonix RO 5.xx downloads, and replaces its operating system in a way
>> that could cause problems if it went wrong in any way. The newer
>> version yet to be produced would not exhibit these potential traps].

> You can always roll back to an old version.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks.

>> So I thought that I would wait for that newer update rather than risk
>> having a computer that doesn't work at all afterwards.

> Considering some of the odd things you seem to have happen on your PC
> that might be a good idea.

Yes, I think so too Chris.

Although I do have a sneaky suspicion that it may well be graphic card
related. The symptoms seem plausible that RO-the-program crashed and
exitted (for some as yet unknown reason) leaving its image in the
Graphics card memory, to be momentarily replaced by the Win7
underlying windows whenever a mouse button was clicked. [Similar to
screen-bank switching on the Beeb]. I think this sounds a plausible
scenario considering that RO and RO-the-program itself was totally
dead, as if not there.

When a non-beta version of the GeForce 260 pops up for update, I will
do the update. [I could not find one on the GeForce website, the 260
card seems not to exist in their list of downloads! Very strange].

[snip]

>> I cannot test anything - since I cannot initiate this fault condition
>> on demand. It might occur at any time (only twice in 3 months).

> What! twice in 3 months! Then is highly unlikely to be anything we
> have looked at apart from some update or alert triggering your issues.

Actually none in the first 2 months I have had the computer and twice
in the last three weeks.

I think it was related to windows pop-ups appearing behing the RO
window. Possibly iTunes related, although I cannot now initiate this
by plugging in my iPhone which does indeed invoke the iTunes pop-up
behind RO. But as I said, I think I first tripped it by somehow
initiating some kind of UniControl transfer accidentally.

It's a puzzle. I can only follow Jeremys advice and look at the
windows states following a CNTRL-ALT-DEL (so I can see them) the next
time that the fault condition occurs.

>> But where is this WinXP compatibility mode setting? (and do I need to
>> set this when I'm using Win7 - that is -  if Andrew Rawnsley has not
>> already set it - and I have no reason to suppose he omitted this
>> (apparently vital) step).

> You don't actually need it, if its installed correctly. Which I am
> sure Andrew Rawnsley would have done.

OK. I'm sure too Chris.

--

Cheers