[Virtualacorn-list] Windows panes flashing under dead full-screen RO

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 16:33:18 GMT 2010

In message <4694197851.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 18 Nov 2010, Chris Hughes  wrote:
>> In message <5c2a0d7851.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
>>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

> [snip]

>> How about trying to download and install the latest nVidea Video
>> drivers and see if that improves things.

> I can try that, but was wary, since that may cause other problems in
> its own right. On the latest available download that was available
> (that I didn't download) it expressly said that it can cause problems
> if not carried out with full compliance to the conditions.

Sounds like you were looking at a beta version, rather then the
official current release.

> It also said that if we waited a bit longer then an even newer version
> might be produced that would not require messing about with dicey
> bits.

Sounds like you were being advised to wait till the beta version
becomes the live version.

> [I think it was saying that the present download is a bit like the
> Iyonix RO 5.xx downloads, and replaces its operating system in a way
> that could cause problems if it went wrong in any way. The newer
> version yet to be produced would not exhibit these potential traps].

You can always roll back to an old version.

> So I thought that I would wait for that newer update rather than risk
> having a computer that doesn't work at all afterwards.

Considering some of the odd things you seem to have happen on your PC
that might be a good idea.

>>> Somethings flakey somewhere.

>> A number of suggestions have been made by me and others to help you
>> have you done any of them yet?

> I've done most of the relevant ones. Many do not apply to me. I don't
> have an external screensaver, I don't have (potentially dodgy)
> external AV software, I don't have automation tools, or non-standard
> keyboard defs, or run StrongEd, or external (potentially dodgy)
> security monitoring software, or application launchers, etc, etc, etc.

>> 1) Contact R-Comp ensure you have the lastest UniPrint plus
>> instructions on installation etc. (there are both Windows and RISC OS
>> parts to this).

> Andrew says that this 4.03 > 4.04 upgrade does not apply to me since I
> dont use the network side of it. It wasn't a general update. It only
> applied to certain people. Therefore the lack of this update might be
> another red herring.

>> 2) Once that is updated - test

> I cannot test anything - since I cannot initiate this fault condition
> on demand. It might occur at any time (only twice in 3 months).

What! twice in 3 months! Then is highly unlikely to be anything we
have looked at apart from some update or alert triggering your issues.

> But where is this WinXP compatibility mode setting? (and do I need to
> set this when I'm using Win7 - that is -  if Andrew Rawnsley has not
> already set it - and I have no reason to suppose he omitted this
> (apparently vital) step).

You don't actually need it, if its installed correctly. Which I am
sure Andrew Rawnsley would have done.

--
Chris Hughes