[Virtualacorn-list] Maximum RAM on RO 4.39/ ARM7500-RPC-VA-adjust?

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Mon Jul 26 09:32:16 BST 2010

On 26 Jul 2010, David J. Ruck wrote:
> On 25/07/2010 15:27, Roger Darlington wrote:
>>
>> I saw a mention somewhere that 256MB RAM is able to be allocated to
>> VA, but in my experience, this allocation causes great problems for
>> the filer: it crashes the computer.
>>
>> R-comp had to put my allocation back down to 160MB, where no problems
>> are encountered (apart from continually running out of RAM when I am
>> doing a lot of work with Netsurf, etc, etc).

> Try 192MB (128MB+64MB). I'm not sure if higher such as 224MB is supported.

OK, I'll give that a whirl when I am not doing anything important.
Thanks.

>> [if relevant, I have 16MB allocated to the PinBoard, and it needs all
>> that].

> It isn't. But you might want to consider resizing your backdrop image to
> the size of screen you are using for performance reasons.

Which is 16MB, which is why the pinboard is 16MB... [I'm running at
2560x1600x24bit].

>> Is something amiss somewhere? Should I be able to go to 256MB RAM
>> allocation?

> Raise a bug report with ROL about the version of RISC OS you are using,
> which you fail to mention, but your headers suggest is still 4.39.

The subject line gave all the details, including RO4.39.

Is the RAM limit higher on RO 6.xx?

What extra benefits (apart from cosmetic changes) does RO 6.xx have
over RO 4.39? Is there a website that details this?

--

Cheers
Roger