[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC & USB HDD

Chris Shepheard chris.shepheard at chrispics.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 17:39:23 GMT 2010

In message <50D6767312%mik.towse at xemik.com>
          Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

> It's a pain, setting up each m/c, though, because I can't seem to be able to
> 'Safely Remove' the USB HDD. So I have to close WXP down everytime I want to
> move the HDD between the 2 computers.

I have this problem with some drives on an XP machine at work.

>From the Windows side go into My Computer and right click the USB HDD
while it is connected. Select Properties and from there, in one of the
tabs, you will find an option to set up the drive so that it can be
safely removed without using the 'Safely Remove Hardware' tool.

It may in fact be already set up that way but XP seems to ignore that
fact.

Having done this with several drives I've never encountered a problem
when removing them despite getting the 'Unable to remove at present'
error when trying the supposedly 'Safe' tool.

Chris
--

Chris Shepheard writing as himself
chris.shepheard at chrispics.co.uk