[Virtualacorn-list] Primary Surface problem fixed (almost)

ATimbrell at aol.com ATimbrell at aol.com
Wed Apr 7 10:10:28 BST 2010

barry.punchard at btinternet.com writes:

>I don't know if this has been reported before, but I recently  downloaded a
>new Graphics Card driver (Nvidia GeForce 9600 M GT card) for  my hp dv5
>laptop and mostly it has fixed the 'failed to produce primary  surface'
>problem I have had since owing this laptop and  installing
>VirtualRPC-AdjustSA.

>It always failed every time  when put to sleep when the VRPC is in a
>window.  Now it almost never  does.  Anyone else found a fix like this?

The original release of Vista suffered from the same problem. When
Vista SP1 was released the problem was fixed for almost all the
machines.

In order for VirtualRPC to re-start after the hibernate/Sleep Windows
needs  to be able to restore all memory to the state before the  event.

If the graphics card driver fails to do this then VirtualRPC won't
be able to continue as (from VirtualRPC's standpoint) a great
chunk of memory that it's been allocated has vanished.

Aaron