[Virtualacorn-list] Unexpected message on this mail list...

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 18:35:48 GMT 2009

lists <Stuartlists at orpheusinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <gemini.ksk3uj001ci1703w4.vince at softrock.co.uk>,
>    Vince M Hudd <vince at softrock.co.uk> wrote:

> > It's *possible* the list address being spammed (resulting in a mod
> > request) was the result of something spidering the mailman pages, but if
> > that was the case I'd see the moderation requests (and owner copies) for
> > other lists as well, so my bet is that I've identified the person who's
> > machine is compromised, and an email will be winging its way to him
> > right after I send this.

> I've been getting Phishing from "LloydsTSB" and "Natwest" to the Croug
> list.

Bah!

I've just looked at the membership list for that one, and the user in
question isn't on it. That means the spam that triggered a mod request *was*
just coincidental, and that kind of rules him out as the most likely
suspect.

(Not ruled out completely - nobody on this list with a Windows PC can be
ruled out completely as being the source of Jeremy's spam - but it means
we're back to square zero as far as identifying the real infected machine's
owner.)

Oh well.

At least I can let him know that he's no longer the prime suspect as being
Typhoid Mary.

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software