[Virtualacorn-list] New Beta HostFS for VirtualRPC on Mac OS X

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Thu Feb 19 14:07:24 GMT 2009

In message of 19 Feb, ATimbrell at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 19/02/2009 10:57:48 GMT Standard Time, tim at powys.org
> writes:
>
> >> A new beta version of HostFS for VirtualRPC running under   Mac OS X
> >> is now available from  :
> >>

> http://www.riscworld.co.uk/virtualacorn/vrpc-mac/hostfs.bundle_beta18thfeb09.zip
>
> >Wow  again!
>
> I am glad you are pleased and that you are seeing some decent
> performance gains.
>
> >I have repeated the tests that I last did in  August of last year which
> >measured some disc access speeds to >be well below that of an  Iyonix.
> >The speeds are now anything from twice to ninety times those of an  Iyonix:
> >(HFS stands for Host Filing System)
>
> <snip>
>
> I never saw these orginal tests :-(
> Were they forwarded to me?

Yes.  And Site Admin (you?) responded:

  "It's quite possible that you are accidentally ending up checking
  the speed of BASIC itself. Included with VRPC is the APDL Disc Speed
  checking program - run this on both machines. Remember to test from
  HostFS on the VRPC - ADFS will be much slower and is there for
  compatability purposes with some applications (Sibelius, FontDirPro)"

This was on the Forum.

> Can I please remind everyone to forward any comments to the e-mail
> address shown in the readme file supplied with this Beta update.
>
> As a second point can everyone who has problems with the VirtualRPC
> itself (e.g. not doing something it should or other unexpected  problems)
> *please* report them to me directly.
>
> I don't read newsgroups, I don't read all the postings on this list, I  don't
> read all the RISC OS forums (apart from the VirtualAcorn one) as there
> simply isn't enough time in a day.
>
> Unless problems are reported directly they won't be looked at (unless
> others who have had the same problem do report them).

Thanks for that advice.  The advantage of this mailing list is that there are so many people here who can share experiences.  But when I have a Real Problem, I'll put it on the Forum as well.

Let's hope the Good News continues.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/