[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Brian Carroll briancarroll at f2s.com
Mon Feb 9 10:04:15 GMT 2009

In article
<gemini.kerupq006wkml01iw at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>, Jeremy
Nicoll - virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> > I'm now scrabbling in the dark, but I've done series of
> > inserting Echo messages down the file, including one at the
> > end and they all display before the freeze happens.

> I run !Reporter on my system, starting very early in Boot, and
> one of the reasons I have the Echo lines in files is that the
> echoed contents appear in Reporter's log file as a constant
> reminder of what to expect.

[Snip]

That's really useful information Jeremy, thanks for taking the
trouble to write it up.  I don't think I want to to such lengths
as you to control boot, but I shall look into my use of
!Reporter more carefully.  My main concern at the moment is to
get a secure softload working on my VRPC, prior to shifting my
RiscPC use across to it.  A lot of useful material has emerged
from this thread :-)

> >  ... For which I have no idea, as I don't know where the
> > instructions that get run during the initial boot sequence
> > are stored.

> In !Boot, but quite a lot of it works by for example using the
> RO *Repeat command to run a command against all the items in a
> directory or sub-directory of boot.  ...

Even if *Repeat is not used, files are executed in alphabetical
name order within their directory.  Hence my pointing to
TimeSetUp in an earlier posting as a possible cause of Dave's
problem.

Brian.