[Virtualacorn-list] RISC OS 6 Installation Problem

Brian D groups at planet3.freeuk.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 00:23:05 GMT 2009

On 2 Feb,
     Brian Carroll <briancarroll at f2s.com> wrote:

> I have now got a good apparently stable installation of
> VRPC-AdjustSA and I'm considering whether to try installing RISC
> OS 6.xx from one of the unused single-machine CDs I bought at
> the last two Wakefield shows.  I'm not unaware of the hassles
> this might cause, having abandoned thoughts of installing on a
> real RiscPC, but I cannot see any help on the matter on the VA
> Forum.

I've had RISC OS 6.0x (can't remember what x was possibly 8) installed on
this machine with good results. The main problem was I could not use the full
resolution of this monitor at any decent number of colours. this was cured by
installing 6.10.

I've had no stability problems.

> Could I have some advice whether RO6.14 is likely to be stable
> on my VRPC version, and how to sort out the user rights that
> Chris refers to above. [I too have a single user machine with no
> passwords or users set but no access to some root folders].

Can't help on that.

> Also, is it necessary to remove the 'Read only' restriction from
> HostFS::HardDisc4 , as Aaron recommends?

I had some problem with permissions, which I now think was down to uniprint,
which needs to be stopped on the PC side before upgrading. At the time I
think I I had to alter permissions on files that refused to move into the
boot backup.

--
  Brian Duffell  VirtualRiscPCSA  | RISC OS 4.39 Adjust
  Darlington Dolphin Masters ASC  | <www.darlingtonmasters.org.uk>