[Virtualacorn-list] USB Flash drive recognition

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Wed Sep 10 01:07:51 BST 2008

I write to criticise an idiot who should have known better.

In message of 9 Sep, Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:

> In message of 9 Sep, Tricia Garner <tricia at orchid-squad.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > I have a 2Gb USB Flash Drive and am hoping to use it to transfer
> > files from the Iyonix to VA but haven't been able to get VA to
> > recognise it yet.
> >
> > Is it possible and if so what is the necessary configuration? I'm
> > using VRPC Adjust SA for Mac on an iMac Leopard 10.5.4. A very kind
> > contributor to the forum has tried to help but I have had no luck
> > following his suggestions so far.
>
> I can't do it here on my Mac.  If it is possible it has to be through
> using the Mount facility which you find in the Preferences of VirtualRPC
> on the top Apple menubar.  But so far I cannot work out how enter the
> location of the extra disc.
>
> Perhaps what is needed with the Mount facility is an option to browse the
> Mac machine.

But there is a browse feature, you idiot.  Use it!

The outline procedure is:

  1. Put the stick in to a USB port on your Mac

  2. Check that it appears on a 'Finder' display.  If it doesn't, I have
     no advice.

  3. Click on the VARPC window, to get VirtualRPC on the top bar.

  4. Click on 'VirtualRPC' on the bar and select Preferences.

  5. In Preferences, select the HostFStab.

  6. In the HostFS window, click inside the Mount field and give this a
     name. This will take up space on your VARPC icon bar so keep it
     short; Stik will do.

  7. In the HostFS window, click inside the Path field, merely to select
     it.  On my machine the border turns blue.  Go to the right of this
     Path field to a little field with three dots on it.  Click on these
     three dots and a Finder window will open.  Browse for the USB stick
     and select it.  The stick's location will go into a Mount field
     above. Possibly click on Show File Extensions.  Click OK.

  8. You may have to ReBoot VARPC but the 'Stik' disc icon should appear
     on your RISC OS icon bar.  Well, it did on mine.

Be warned that some files may not transfer well; I don't know.  But I
have found that Mounting Mac directories is not foolproof and that FTPc
does a better job,  And ShareFS a very good job indeed, though it won't
work between Mac and VARPC.

> Having said all that, I used ShareFS to transfer very easily from Iyonix
> to VA.  All you need is to have both machines on the one network.

Still true.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/