[Virtualacorn-list] An Iyonix Replacement?

John M Ward john at acornusers.org
Fri Oct 17 10:52:37 BST 2008

In article <gemini.k8vmh705soguf00eg.druck at druck.org.uk>,
   David J. Ruck <druck at druck.org.uk> wrote:
> John M Ward <john at acornusers.org> wrote:
> > The only thing that occurs to me is that earlier versions of VA-RPC
> > needed an add-on (downloadable from the support website) to raise
> > the "VRAM" limit from 2 MB to 8 MB.  Perhaps (a) that is needed in
> > this case, or (b) didn't install correctly/fully if that has
> > already been tried.
>
> My understanding was VRPC-SE didn't support more than 2MB, and 8MB
> screen modes were only available only VRPC-AdjustSE, which was very
> unfair to Select subscribers.

Oh!  Well, I got the upgrade for my VRPC-SE, and it has been working
fine here ever since.

> Aaron said the only way to get 8MB with a softloaded OS was to
> upgraded to VRPC-SA, which I did time last year. I've looked on the
> VA website and there doens't seem to be any upgrades for VRPC-SA
> which are required to get this to work.

I don't know about VRPC-SA, which I don't have on either of my
portables.  When I bought my RiscBook (with VRPC-SE) from the R-Comp
stand at Guildford last year, it had this already installed/enabled.

There do seem to be one or two confusions and uncertainties here, and I
am getting a strong feeling that there is an easy solution to this
problem once those are dealt with.  Perhaps before tomorrow's show
opens, if your VA is on a portable, might it be worth taking it over to
Aaron (I'm assuming you'll both be there as you usually are) and getting
it sorted out once and for all?  Even if it isn't on a portable, I'm
sure that if you take a note of the full specs (version, serial number,
any add-ons installed) over to Aaron, something will click and he'll
point the way to your solution.

Just a suggestion, knowing that you folks will be there well ahead of
opening time, and it probably won't take more than ten minutes to sort
out I suspect.

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!