[Virtualacorn-list] VirtualRPC Speed Comparisons...

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Thu Oct 9 05:43:57 BST 2008

Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:

> In message of 8 Oct, ATimbrell at aol.com wrote:
>
> > If we compare BogoMips from this "slow" machine to the others then we
> > might find something. Once we have enough results (and we nearly do) -
> > plus the result from the "Slow" machine we can move to the next test.
>
> I am not sure that we have that information yet as the !BogoMips
> applicaion does not run on an Iyonix.  All we have are the results on
> various 26 bit machines and the 26 bit emulator machines.

I have posted results using other tools.

> What would be involved in developing one BogoMips application to run on
> any RISC OS machine, 26 or 32 bit?

!Desk_Bogo is written in C, though the source is provided an external
library, "JobLib", is missing. There are hard references to the original
author's hard drive.

The 32bit BogoMips from the Unix Porting Project seems not to be around any
more.

It has been suggested that Dhrystones is a better test, at least the full
source is available for that.

In any case such measurements are only part of the story. I have the
impression that VRPC on Vista is faster than the Iyonix even though
Dhrystones shows the reverse. I have already found that VRPC/Vista can
access its harddrive much more quickly than the Iyonix does.

As an example on start up the Iyonix takes 20 seconds to get to the desktop
and 26 seconds to complete the boot. VRPC/Vista completes in 10 seconds.

Perhaps it is all a bit academic now, the Iyonix is no more, the question
becomes not which is the better but is VRPC good enough for the user's
needs.
--
David Pitt