[Virtualacorn-list] VirtualRPC Speed Comparisons...

ATimbrell at aol.com ATimbrell at aol.com
Wed Oct 8 16:14:47 BST 2008

In a message dated 08/10/2008 16:05:22 GMT Daylight Time,  druck at druck.org.uk
writes:

>> Using 32bit Bogomips (UPP) and Dhrystones :-
>>
>>  Platform             BogoMips   Dhrystones
>> Iyonix OS  5.13      593         850340
>> A9home OS 4.42       192        675675
>> VRPC  Vista           422        613120
>> VRPC WindowsXP  SP3  218        300380
>>  Kinetic 300 OS6.06  192         513620

>That's what I'd expect to see. Ignoring Bogomips which are a  very poor
>measure of anything,

<snip>

They aren't a poor measure of what I am trying to find out.
This isn't about "my machine's faster than yours". The aim
is to collect comparative figures from VirtualRPC running
accross a number of machines - in order to try and find out
why the particular VRPC for the Mac is running "slow".

If we compare BogoMips from this "slow" machine to the
others then we might find something. Once we have enough
results (and we nearly do) - plus the result from the "Slow"
machine we can move to the next test.

<snip>

>Where the emulator is badly let down is the random freezes caused  by
>Windows stopping to do something (including inerference from  anti-virus
>software) which you don't get on native machines. RISC OS may  lock you out
>for periods of single tasking, but invariably only when  you've told it to
>do something, so you know why it is doing it. What  Windows is up to most of
>the time is anyones guess.

Increasing the VirtualRPC ProcessorPriority will almost always  prevent
an anti-virus from interfering with the use of RISC OS. Also choosing
a sensible product (AVG) as against a bloat ware monster (Norton,
MacAfee) will also help prevent any interruption.

Anyway, this is off topic for this thread. This is about finding out  why
one particular machine is reportedly "slow".

Aaron