[Virtualacorn-list] Speed of Iyonix??

ATimbrell at aol.com ATimbrell at aol.com
Tue Oct 7 08:54:49 BST 2008

rogerarm at freeuk.com writes:

>My earlier question asked about a replacement Iyonix,
>by using some sort of VRPC.

>However, I have since heard that  even if I had the fastest Mac
>possible, a 3.2GHz 8-core thingy, it will  not run at equal or greater
>than the Iyonixs; speed, but much less,  maybe only 30% of the Iyonixs'
>speed.

I am not sure who told you this, but it's absolute nonsense. On a  modern
Mac (Intel Dual Core) a VirtualRPC will outperform an Iyonix on
pretty much evyerything.

Nearly 3 years ago Archive ran tests comparing VRPC and Iyonix.
This was using sensible mid range PC hardware (which was a lot
slower than Intel Core2 stuff). The VirtualRPC won by a narrow
margin - as PCs get faster and faster (and more efficient) the gap
just keeps widening.

>I would therefore need a 10GHz Mac just to  break-even with Iyonixs'
>speed, let alone surpass  it.

>Comments please?

See above - Out of interrest who "told" you that a VPRC would only
be "30%" of the speed?

>What speed (using image processing on  VRPC/SA-VRPC or JPEG-picture
>viewing on the VRPC/SA0-VRPC do people see  in relation to that of an
>Iyonix?

Depends on the application - in some extreme cases I would
expect 2 x the performance - or perhaps even more.

>What is the  way forward?  An X-scale-Virtual Acorn??

Not needed.

Aaron