[Virtualacorn-list] An Iyonix Replacement?

ATimbrell at aol.com ATimbrell at aol.com
Mon Oct 6 12:17:16 BST 2008

In a message dated 06/10/2008 12:07:21 GMT Daylight Time,  druck at druck.org.uk
writes:

>> At some time in the future, maybe not long, I will need to replace  my
>> Iyonix.
>>
>> On the Iyonix I use a graphics  resolution of 2048 x 1536 at full 24-bit
>> colour. I will wish to have  the capability of upgrading to even better
>> res than this (at 24bit  colour).

>I am also very intrested in this, having expressly purchased  an upgrade to
>VRPC-SA (from SE) on the understanding that a driver for  RISC OS 6
>would address these display issues. That was at the South East  show this
>time last year, and I have not heard of any progress.

I am a little confused about this one. The RISC OS 6 Video driver
(that supports the 8Mb of VRAM under VirtualRPC) was released
as part of RISC OS 6.10 - at Wakefield this year. So if you are a
current Select Subscriber and have your RISC OS 6.10 CD - then
you have the driver built into the RISC OS softload ROM.

With regard to going higher than 8Mb - then the StrongARM VirtualRPCs
can go over this limit (the theoretical limit being around 16Mb) when
using the ARM7500 core.

>> I also wish to use hard drives  (fully addressable by RO) up to 1TB or
>> maybe even  more.

>If using HostFS, any size of drive the native machine can use,  can be
>accessed from RISC OS.

Absolutely correct.

Aaron