[Virtualacorn-list] Enhancing the RISC OS experience

ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 18 10:45:53 BST 2008

I would like to enlarge the discussion in the thread `Floating point
arithmetic' to include any other enhancements to RISC OS that might be
achieved by using the host processer or host resouces. This isn't an
area of programming that I know a great deal about so some (even all)
of what I suggest could well be impossible, but there might be some
useful things and also things that I have missed. It is worth noting
that hostfs is an example of an enhancement to RISC OS produced using
the host machine more directly.

1) Would it be possible to use the host to render images that RISC OS
cannot do? RAW images might be an example. Are there any other host
resources that might be used in this way?

2) Would it be possible to write some modules using the host
instruction set and simply have the emulator pass parameters to the
module and receive the results? The modules given this treatment would
have to be such that a significant time saving would result.

3) What other uses of the host are there that might enhance the
overall performance of the VA in a significant fashion?

It is possible that some of those who have left RISC OS might be
tempted back if VA became known as the RISC OS you knew and loved but
with enhancements that RISC OS on the old 'native' machines never had
and never could have had. Greatly improved disc i/o via hostfs is a
significant selling point at the moment. The more enhancements of this
kind that can be implemented, the more attractive VA could become and
the longer RISC OS could be available and useful.

Ralph

--

Ralph & Valmai Stevens
In leafy Epping