[Virtualacorn-list] Floating point arithmetic

ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com
Thu Oct 9 10:26:20 BST 2008

Lack of hardware for floating point arithmetic has been a problem for
most RISC OS machines for a long time. So can I ask the following
questions?

Does VA use the Acorn floating point emulator or does it use the host
machine's fp unit?

If it is the floating point emulator that is used, would it be
possible to change this to use the hardware fp system of the host?

And if the answer to the second question is 'yes', would a significant
improvement in the performance of fp arithmetic operations result? By
the word significant I mean enhancing the performance of VA
significantly compared with native machines.

There are other questions that could be asked such as 'If the answers
to the last two questions are both yes, is the user-base sufficiently
large and willing to spend the money to make the project viable?', but
I will not press that.

Ralph

--

Ralph & Valmai Stevens