[Virtualacorn-list] Disc thrashes every 4 or 5 seconds

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Tue Oct 7 00:14:31 BST 2008

I suspect this is only for VARPC on a Mac.

I've just noticed that the Mac's disc is doing quite a bit of thrashing.
More importantly, this thrashing stops when I exit from VARPC.  This
happens ever 4 or 5 seconds, even when I leave the machine alone for
several minutes.

I ran the monitoring applets AppStat and TaskUsage.  About the only
thing they showed was that NextBar had significant bit of CPU activity
every 4 or 5 seconds.  Of course neither of these applets show disc
activity (unless I am very much mistaken) so that diagnosis is probably
useless.

Much more to the point is that sometimes, two or three times a day,
StrongEd comes to a complete halt in the middle of editing a mail or
posting.  The only way out is to stop VARPC and restart.  Usually the
mouse still works so I can shut down, but sometimes I have to kill the
Mac VARPC app.  This halting seems to occur at one of these disc
thrashes, but I could easily be wrong.  Another feature is that most of
the time, Menu over the StrongEd icon on the iconbar does absolutely
nothing; I have downloaded a fresh copy.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

VARPC 1.6.6, RISC OS 4.39,  StrongEd

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/