[Virtualacorn-list] A couple of successes with VARPC

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Sat Dec 27 17:07:11 GMT 2008

The festive season gives me a chance to hide and get some things done
that I had been thinking about for ages:

First I got RISC OS 6.14 working fine on my Mac-based VARPC as a direct
upgrade from the supplied 4.39.  Curiously the first two of three
restarts locked up and needed closing down and restarting but since then
all has been OK.

Second I managed to get a printer working over the local network where
that printer is not supported by Mac.  The printer is a Canon BJC-5500
which Apple does not support; there is a Gimp driver but it is faulty.
So I was advised that it should be possible to drive it directly from
VARPC to the printer server.

So I used Peter Bell's LPR driver (available from RComp), though there
is also Stephan Bellon's RemotePrinterFS, installed it on VARPC, (the
easy bit) and set up the file field on the Printer Connection window.  I
merely copied the entry from my Iyonix which was:

  lpr#10.0.0.3/LPT2:

where, in case there is anyone who is interested in this:

  'lpr'         is the printing protocol

  '10.0.0.3'    is the address of my printer server

  'LPT2'       is the name of the Canon's port on the print server

So that is now one less reason for keeping the Iyonix switched on, as it
is no longer needed for servicing that printer.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim at powys.org
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/