[Virtualacorn-list] Virtual Acorn Setup Problem

Steve Joyce Steve at joyces.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 22 18:51:33 GMT 2008

Since initiating this thread, I've been distracted by other problems -
disappearing emails being one, but it is long past the time to reply to
some of the suggestions proffered.

I'm running XP with service pack 3 (which has annoyingly interfered with
directory permissions over the network), 1Gb memory with an Athlon 2400
processor. I've already moved the swap file as the only file in a
separate disk partition - its set to 1500Mb (which seems generous enough).

I use diskeeper 8 to keep the two other partitions low on fragmentation.

If I log in as normal windows user, allow the various processes to sort
themselves out, VRPC starts reasonably well, but will periodically stall
for several minutes for no obvious reason. Its almost impossible to find
out what other processes might be hogging processor time because
Alt/Return, Alt/Tab of Ctrl/Alt/Delete take forever to elicit a response
- by which time VRPC becomes responsive again.

I've tried changing VRPC processor priority setting, but anything other
than 0 causes start-up problems;

3 - appears to stall after the message 'hardware profiles disabled'
2 - appears to stall at the screen displaying the green logo for ages.
1 - much like (2), but does get to the desktop.

Although I've got the SA-Adjust version, I've just tried the Arm7 model,
and that appears to boot up more easily. I haven't tried it seriously yet
to see what the consequences arise ffom not using the SA model.

Trying to set up a 2nd user that automatically boots to VRPC gives a
weird sequence of windows at various resolutions, colours/totally blank,
and no sign of Risc OS until I've gone through Alt/Return and maximising
the resulting window.

Perhaps I'll settle for the Arm7 model as I want to retire my RPC-SA as
it seems to be having strange issues with emails and mailing lists.

Cheers,

Steve