[Webchange-list] Search without replace

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Sat Jul 2 23:33:18 BST 2016

In article <mpro.o9pg98000fp0a04ss.atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk> Vince M Hudd  wrote:

> Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> > In article <559877fe81Lists at Torrens.org.uk> Richard Torrens (lists)
> > wrote:
> > > Is it possible to do a search to list files that would be changed?
> > >
> > > It's easy enough to do that in StrongED - but my site's too large to do
> > > that!
> > With due deference to Vince & his reply, you might find Locate useful for
> > this. http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/software/locate/
> Locate is, of course, a very good piece of software - but it whether it can
> identify the files that will be changed by a WebChange search and replace
> may depend on the use of wildcards and, if any are to be used, whether you
> can translate WebChange wildcards to Locate wildcards.
[snip]
That is true, of course, but perhaps I misunderstood the OP's requirement. I
read this to mean they were having difficulty locating (ha ha) the files that
needed updating. 8)

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk