[Webchange-list] Search without replace

Vince M Hudd atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk
Sat Jul 2 21:43:56 BST 2016

Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

> In article <559877fe81Lists at Torrens.org.uk> Richard Torrens (lists) wrote:
> > Is it possible to do a search to list files that would be changed?
> >
> > It's easy enough to do that in StrongED - but my site's too large to do
> > that!

> With due deference to Vince & his reply, you might find Locate useful for
> this. http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/software/locate/

Locate is, of course, a very good piece of software - but it whether it can
identify the files that will be changed by a WebChange search and replace
may depend on the use of wildcards and, if any are to be used, whether you
can translate WebChange wildcards to Locate wildcards.

Straight, non-wildcarded searches should be no problem at all, of course.

(And strictly speaking the same applies to StrongED, which Richard mentioned
in the opening post).

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software