[Virtualacorn-list] Setting the NEXT memory slot in RO4.39 on VA-RPC-SA

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 11 10:27:40 GMT 2019

In article <d6b3fb9257.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>, Roger
Darlington via Virtualacorn-list
<virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:

> I've completely forgotten how to set the NEXT memory in
> the TASKS menu, so that it remembers after I restart Risc
> OS 4.39 when using it on a PC running VA-RPC SA.

I used to do it manually (in prehistoric times) but, many
years ago, I discovered Paul Vigay's MiscSetup. It puts a
new icon into the Boot -> Configuration window which allows
you to set various parameters, Next slot among them. Find
it here:

http://www.vigay.com/software/

> I can set it temporarily OK using the Tasks window in RO
> 4.39, but it doesn't remember that setting on restarting
> VA-RPC SA.

> What am I forgetting / omitting to do please? How do I
> save that setting please?

I forget how to do it manually so you're not alone. My Next
slot is set to 4096 kB. I've just trawled through the
likely places in Boot and the only thing I've found is in
this file:

HostFS::HardDisc4.$.!Boot.Choices.Users.Single.Boot.Tasks.FlrSetup

Which contains the line:

FullInfoDisplay 4096

However, I can't see that being relevant - mind you, I
could be wrong but I don't think so because my wife isn't
here at the moment.

John

--
John McCartney