[Virtualacorn-list] Incompatible host

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Sun Mar 3 21:11:19 GMT 2019

In article <ed9f158f57.chris at mytarbis.plus.com> Chris Hughes via Virtualacorn-list  wrote:
> In message <578efa3744cvjazz at waitrose.com>
>           Chris Newman via Virtualacorn-list
> <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:
> > The reason I made a right spherical objects up of modifying the models
> > file to point to my hard disc was that the folder in which resides my VA
> > was labelled VirtualRPC-AdjustSA so I presumed I was using the Strong
> > Arm version. I suppose Andrew labelled it thus when he set up the m/c. So
> > might it ought to be labelled VirtualRPC-Adjust7500 or something but
> > changing it now would presumably confuse all the pathnames.
> The name will be generated when the software is installed.
It might be worth a little clarification here, if I may be so bold.

There are 3 version of VRPC for Windows and the program installs in a folder
named after the version you are using; this folder is the program location.

Each version then has one or more sub-folders containing the RISC OS
computers that your version of the software can emulate. Within each of these
sub-folders are Model.cfg and cmos.ram, which define the computer/model
parameters and (generally) your desktop preferences.

Model.cfg isn't interchangeble between each models. cmos.ram may be, at your
own risk. ;)

> > Next question. There are copies of the Models & Config files within VA.
> > Do they get updated in some way or do I have to do it manually?
> You make manual backups of the files especially since you have non_stanrd
> file path.
Indeed. Once you have VRPC working as you wish, it's essential that you make
a copy of Model.cfg / cmos.ram and VA.cfg in the program folder. It will save
you a great deal of heartache & hassle /when/ (not if!) Windows breaks
something for VRPC.

VA.cfg is important in that it contains your licence key and the model
which is automatically started on bootup.

Model.cfg contains those all important paths to your RISC OS HDs.

cmos.ram doesn't matter so much, but do yoyu really want to redo all your
desktop preferences, etc, when a Windows update messes up your cmos.ram
settings?

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk