[Virtualacorn-list] Incompatible host

Martin styleguide at avisoft.f9.co.uk
Sat Mar 2 17:09:08 GMT 2019

On 02 Mar in article <578e769df6cvjazz at waitrose.com>,
   Chris Newman via Virtualacorn-list
<virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:
> However, this W10 professional does not show the .cfg extension so
> it took me a while to guess the correct file. My netbook with W10
> Home does show the extension. I have "Hide extensions for known
> filetypes" selected on both machines. I have no idea why the
> different appearance.

Presumably it just means that the Home & Pro editions have slightly
different lists of known filetypes for some reason.

Home may not know the filetype, so displays it on the end of the
filename (and a 'CFG File' under Type)

Pro may know the filetype, so omits it from the end of the filename
(but may say 'CFG File' under Type)

I would suggest un-ticking "Hide extensions for known filetypes" so
that they are always displayed, and you will not have to decipher the
discription to guess the actual filetype anymore. It is one of the
first things I do on a new Windows machine.

Note I did see a FileType Manager utility which enables them to be
added, deleted & descriptions changed ... but I have not tried it.
Search for: Filetype man nirsoft
No doubt there are others!

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader