[Virtualacorn-list] Incompatible host

Chris Newman cvjazz at waitrose.com
Sat Mar 2 13:54:58 GMT 2019

In article <1UTFZezDjS.7Kcv8barYCi at desktop-9ht27pj>, T.O.M.S. via
Virtualacorn-list <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello Folks

<Snip>

> Most importantly, please note that, at the bottom (under 'Change to
> VirtualRPC default installation path'), the article specifies that
> VirtualRPC should no longer be installed in the 'old' C:\Program
> Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxx  folder but in the 'new' location at
> C:\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxx

> That was and still is the 'official' line from VirtualAcorn. Aaron asked us
> to stress this as it's clear he is having to spend considerable time and
> effort helping punters sort out problems due to the location of their
> *working* installation not being as specified, for example putting it in
> the root of drive C:  At least some of these later problems arise from the
> way Window 10 does things.

>From this, it would appear that as long as all the components of VA,
including the HardDisc4, are all in the same folder eg
F:\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-xxx
there should be no problems & the whole kit & caboodle will be well away from
Microsoft updates, tinkering etc & probably protected from malware.
I'm always a little worried that a clean-up programm like CCleaner or Wise
Care might think something in VA is redundant or nasty & remove it.

Is there any pressing reason why it should be in the c drive?

I have run VA in a partition very succesfully with only two problems which
were easily solved. One was a CMOS corruption do to me inadvertently pulling
the plug (duh!) & the partition filling up due to the fact that Transient was
saving everything forever & it had filled up with deleted Risc OSM map files
(now sorted).

--
Chris