[Virtualacorn-list] Incompatible host

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Fri Mar 1 16:52:19 GMT 2019

In article <578df58a55cvjazz at waitrose.com> Chris Newman via Virtualacorn-list  wrote:

> In article <578DEE5DC1%mik.towse at xemik.com>,
>    Mik Towse via Virtualacorn-list <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk>
> wrote:
[snip]
> > The HDDs 4 & 5 can, in theory, be pretty much anywhere. Andrew & I had a
> > discussion about this when he was building my new RISCube3. Both mine are
> > in Documents because this folder is backed up every day to a NAS.
> So how did you get VA to point to them?
I used the Tools menu and your question has just jogged my memory. VRPC
failed to boot after I'd edited mount0 (i.e. to my HD4) via the Tools menu.
After editing, mount0 was no lomger the first entry in the mounts list, so
the order of the mounts in Model.cfg seems to matter. If mount0 isn't first
in the list of mounts, edit the file in Windows and make it so.

However, since Tools doesn't seem to be working for you, but you might by
better using Dave S. suggestion of editing the Model.cfg by hand.

You need to be very careful doing it this way, because it's so easy to type
the format incorrectly. This is my entry for my HD4:

mount0 = "HardDisk4 'C:\Users\RISC OS\Documents\VRPC Drives\HardDisc4' bootopt=2,showext"

Note the double speech marks at both ends, but importantly the SINGLE speech
marks around file location.

Remember, to avoid typing errors you can save the file path from the Windows
file window to the clipboard.

A couple of other thoughts occur. VRPC SA version has 3 models avalaible,
each with their own Model.cfg file. Are you editing the correct file for the
model you trying to boot? Assuming you only intend to run one version of
VRPC, it won't hurt to copy the HD4 file locatin into all three Model.cfg
files.

Also, you may have more than one VRPC folder on your m/c (as I do, for
backup; be sure to edit the 'live' VRPC files.

It's all too easy to miss the obvious answer when these beasts fail to do as
we expect. Been there too many times myself. ;)

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

It is difficult to prophesy, especially about the future.