[Virtualacorn-list] Multiple recipients threadcut

Bob Ardler ardler at argonet.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 11:04:01 BST 2018

Martin Avison wrote:
Re:

>> [...] Broken-threading & continuous-quoting are beyond my ken.

> Broken Threads are when messages which are replies do not contain in
> their header lines (not normally seen) a 'References:' header
> containing a reference to the original message. This means that mail
> readers which can display message 'threads' properly cannot do so,
> and the thread is 'broken'. Then the only way to group messages
> together is by the subject. Strangely, of your 3 replies in this
> thread, one was referenced correctly, the other two were not.
>
> Continuous Quoting probably refers to the nasty habit of some mail
> programs to send chunks of text which are way way over the standard
> 70 or so line length limit. When quoted, there is just one quote
> indicator (eg '>') at the start of many lines of displayed text,
> instead of at the start of every displayed line.

> Pluto will happily display most non-standard messages without being
> rattled, but they can be more difficult to read and reply to than
> standard ones.
>
> In an earlier post, you wrote:
>> One misses Pluto's style and versatility, but learning how to use
>> it with webmail seems too much bother.
>
> If you miss Pluto, then it can easily be used on any RISC OS machine.
> You do not use it 'with webmail'.
> The fetching and sending of emails for Pluto over the Internet is
> handled by a Transport Application as always - eg AntiSpam, POPstar,
> Hermes (probably in your NetFetch).
>
> For further details of Pluto, see www.avisoft.f9.co.uk/Pluto for
> infomation and a contact email address.
>
> IMHO when away from your RISC OS machine but with access to a
> browser, Webmail has its uses, but I personally would not like to use
> it all the time.

Thanks, Martin, for several clarifications. Can now see, with apologies,
that my questions have cut Vince M Hudd's thread with digression.
Have googled & learnt you've taken over Pluto & his e-creation from
Jonathan Duddington -- a vital job which gave huge benefit to a brave
partially-sighted woman in Greenwich. Sadly, the message from Paul
Vigay (or successor?) and argonet was quite clear: webmail from now
on. In any case, filing by hand & sorting by sender (or e-list and
subject) has become routine. So it's a sad goodbye to splendid Pluto
& Jonathan (couldn't find what's become of him on Google).
Good luck with your splendid work,
Bob