[Virtualacorn-list] Multiple recipients

Martin styleguide at avisoft.f9.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 17:14:45 BST 2018

On 20 Jul in article
<53160.91.85.218.30.1532098121.squirrel at email.orpheusnet.co.uk>,
   Bob Ardler via Virtualacorn-list
<virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:
> John McCartney wrote:
> re:
> >> !NetFetch and !Messenger sit where
> >> Andrew's team put them on the pinboard, but to email we
> >> just NetSurf webmail, log in & do it all on Netsurf.

> > That'll be why your e-mails look a mess when viewed (in my
> > case) on Pluto. The threading is broken and quoting is
> > discontinuous. In order to compose this reply, I've had to
> > extensively edit your last email to make it more easily
> > readable.

> Well, same here with many others' emails. (Broken-threading
> and continuous-quoting are terms beyond my ken.)

Broken Threads are when messages which are replies do not contain in
their header lines (not normally seen) a 'References:' header
containing a reference to the original message. This means that mail
readers which can display message 'threads' properly cannot do so,
and the thread is 'broken'. Then the only way to group messages
together is by the subject. Strangely, of your 3 replies in this
thread, one was referenced correctly, the other two were not.

Continuous Quoting probably refers to the nasty habit of some mail
programs to send chunks of text which are way way over the standard
70 or so line length limit. When quoted, there is just one quote
indicator (eg '>') at the start of many lines of displayed text,
instead of at the start of every displayed line.

> > Your use of NetSurf and webmail doesn't seem to be able to
> > cope with the fiddly bits either. It would help somewhat if
> > you separated paragraphs with a double return instead of
> > just indenting the first line. I've had to do that before
> > getting Pluto to reformat so that your last two paragraphs
> > don't end up as one.

> OK, indent bad, double return good now added to goodmanners.
> Yonks ago Paul Vigay said no more Pluto, webmail now, use
> your browser. Hence the NetSurfing, as the RiscOS FireFox
> doesn't work here and Webster pages have weird layout.
> Andrew made NetFetch pop up on RiscOS entry with multiple
> options needing study & practice, so am sticking with the
> simple way. Didn't realize it rattles Pluto.

Pluto will happily display most non-standard messages without being
rattled, but they can be more difficult to read and reply to than
standard ones.

In an earlier post, you wrote:
> One misses Pluto's style and versatility, but learning how to use
> it with webmail seems too much bother.

If you miss Pluto, then it can easily be used on any RISC OS machine.
You do not use it 'with webmail'.
The fetching and sending of emails for Pluto over the Internet is
handled by a Transport Application as always - eg AntiSpam, POPstar,
Hermes (probably in your NetFetch).

For further details of Pluto, see www.avisoft.f9.co.uk/Pluto for
infomation and a contact email address.

IMHO when away from your RISC OS machine but with access to a
browser, Webmail has its uses, but I personally would not like to use
it all the time.

Martin

--
Martin Avison      using a British Iyonix running RISC OS 5
                   and the Pluto mail and newsreader