[Virtualacorn-list] Boot problem

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 07:54:55 BST 2018

In article <57117ac18dcvjazz at waitrose.com>,
   Chris Newman via Virtualacorn-list
<virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <5711635a57dave at triffid.co.uk>,
>    Dave Symes via Virtualacorn-list <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > In article <5710543d34cvjazz at waitrose.com>,
> >    Chris Newman via Virtualacorn-list
> > <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:

> > [Snippy]

> > > It took a while to get A Round Tuiit as I have been taking advantage
> > > of the hot weather & doing some repairs to our ancient conservatory
> > > wood work. Dig out a bit, fill a bit, paint a bit. Then there's the
> > > ages you have to wait for things to set & dry. What fun. I had to
> > > replace some ancient hinges. The originals were packed out with
> > > pieces cut from a Wills Woodbine fag packet (anyone remember them).
> > > Chiselit, Bodgit & Leggit had obviously cut the holes too big.
> > > Modern hinges are slightly bigger than the originals & the screw
> > > holes don't line up. More filling & sanding. Hey ho!

> > Reading the above I have to asume you are a mere DIYer!...

> Mere being the operative word, methinks.

> Chris

;-)

Small apology, didn't intend it to appear so pejorative... (Maybe) ;-)

Having been a Building construction and maintenance pro for over 50 years,
and 'wunce' upon a time the Grumpmaster, I sometimes still bristle at
DIYer comments.  :-)   (My bad).

Dave

FWIW. Back in the days, an old fag packet whatever brand was a most useful
thing to have in your tool box.

1) To contain the fags, then when empty...
2) To use for hinge and lock shims, etc.
3) To write material(x) lists and dims on.
4) If the fags packet had a loose foil liner...
And...
If some careless (person) blew a fuse (No one carried spares) the foil
liner could be rolled around the blown fuse cartridge and put in to
temporarily replace the fuse... Or twist rolled to put in a fuse box.

Yes I know, but I'm commenting on long ago... Later when I ran my own
business I did carry a pot of spare fuses and fuse wires.

(x) That's material in the sense of timber, cement, ironmongery etc, and
not a bolt of cloth. :-)

Oh yes, and even back then we had boot problems.

D.

--

Dave Triffid