[Virtualacorn-list] [SPAM] Test

Vince M Hudd atdotcodotuk at dotcodotukat.co.uk
Tue Jan 23 16:23:43 GMT 2018

On 23/01/18 15:38, John McCartney wrote:

> When I received André's post, I deliberately sent a
> personal e-mail to avoid this unwanted repetition of events
> I would rather forget. It seems that it wasn't personal
> enough! Was it the information in the headers that caused
> the propagation of the last couple of days?

Pretty much - if you mean what I think you do; André's follow-up to your
post honoured the original headers. So in the same way that your post
was crossposted to multiple lists, so was his - though whether it
appeared in any of those lists depends on whether or not he is a
subscriber and/or the list settings.

Your initial follow-up to his post similarly followed the same headers -
so that one would have been crossposted as well - but with the added
bonus that if André isn't subscribed to the same lists as you, your
reply might have appeared on mailing lists that his didn't, and thus
confused readers, seeing you apparently replying to a message they
hadn't seen.

 From my point of view, the same problem occurred with both posts as
your original - my settings for this list meant that both were held for
moderation due to the multiple recipients; so you didn't see André's
post *on this list* (even if you'd seen it sooner elsewhere*) until I'd
logged in and approved it.

As an added bonus, even though my follow-up only went to this list, I
have myself on permanent moderation due some spam that made it onto a
list a year or two back - so I also had to log in and approve my own
post. (As I'll have to do with this one!)

Bottom line: Don't use To: or CC: to post to multiple mailing lists (or
even to mailing lists along with third parties).

IIRC BCC works (possibly with nothing in To: or CC:) - using that should
mean the list server will only see itself as the recipient, and pass the
message along correctly. (ISTR I used to do something along those lines
for announcements back in the late 1990s, early 2000s - but the mailing
list involved was mine, operated in Pluto, so I may have fudged it to
work!)

* Although I think you're using Pluto, and I suspect it may be 'clever'
enough to be able to confuse matters.

--
Vince M Hudd - Soft Rock Software   - www.softrock.co.uk
                RISCOSitory          - www.riscository.com