[Virtualacorn-list] UniPrint on W7 no longer working.

Peter Young pnyoung at ormail.co.uk
Mon Jan 8 18:49:23 GMT 2018

On 8 Jan 2018  Brian Carroll <brian at carrolls.me.uk> wrote:

> In article <ca3043b756.pnyoung at pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>, Peter
> Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>> I have a Windows 7 laptop running VRPC which has always in the
>> past been able to communicate with Windows using UniPrint. I
>> suspect following a recent Windows update this is now no
>> longer working. ...

> You seem to contradict this in the next sentence

Sorry, Brian, and I did send a second message with a correction. I was
rather weary after three good but hectic days, and I had a bit of the
fatigue of old age :-(

To make it clear, it won't work between RISC OS on ARMX6 and Windows
7. VRPC to Windows 7 does work with UniServer, as does ShareFS between
ARMX6 and VRPC.

>> ... However, it will work from VRPC to to Windows, and ShareFS
>> still works in both directions. Due to someone on some mailing
>> list I have had the instructions on how to cure this on my W10
>> machine, but I now can't find these instructions. I have
>> checked that UniServer in Windows is running and set up
>> correctly.

>> If anyone can tell me how to allow UniPrint to work again I
>> will be eternally grateful. I don't like tangling with
>> Windows matters that I don't understand.

> There is a short thread 'Uniserver/print and or network problem'
> on the Archive mail list, started by me on 11 Dec 17, about a
> similar problem.

There is indeed, and I thought that this was the message and thread
thread I was referring to, and I still have it. However it wasn't!

> I have asked advice from RComp but without any success.  For me , the
> problem seems to be related to some change on the modified-XP machine
> possibly following updates which arrive occasionally. The RiscPC
> cannot now communicate with UniServer on the PC over the network.
> ShareFS to other RISCOS machines is unaffected.

> My problem remains and is a considerable nuisance.

So does and is my problem. At least I can communicate in a roundabout
way using Share FS and accessing shared folders in W7 using LanMan98,
but it would be good to have UniServer working again.

Best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter Young (zfc Pt) and family