[Virtualacorn-list] Avast Free freezes VRPC

Barry Punchard barry.punchard at btinternet.com
Sun Nov 26 15:10:52 GMT 2017

On 26 Nov          jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk wrote:

> On 2017-11-26 13:19, Barry Punchard wrote:
> > VRPC AdjustSA (v1.6) emulating Arm7500 freezes, then unfreezes up to 20
> > secs later, when used under Win7 running Avast Free Anivirus software v.
<SNIP>

> > Freezing can be eliminated or greatly reduced by turning off Avast's
> > Behaviour Shield permanently, which I have been doing for many months.
<SNIP>

> Does the Avast Free thing have a facility to exclude certain programs or
> folders from its attention, or to customise its treatment of programs, per
> .exe?
>   Or is that something you sacrifice by using a free product?

You can exclude it from disc scans, but I can't find a similar option for the
Behaviour Shield.

> > If the Shield is turned off while VRPC is running it causes an 'Unable
> > to Create Primary Surface' failure under VRPC.
<snip>

> Judging by googling, this is an authorisation issue for a program
> requesting some sort of Direct3D (ie graphics) process.
>
> There are threads on the VA forum about these errors, which might shed
> some light.
> See eg:
> http://virtualacorn.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=463&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=4aaed4a2644f0ed236b66fc8fc8cd822&start=0
>
> and threads mentioning DirectDraw.

I'll check that.

> Also is it happening at random moment, or on waking from hibernate, or
> when you change from VRPC in full screen mode to window mode, or recovering
> from  hibernate when previously in ful-screen mode?

It's often related to coming out of hibernation, can't remember if that's when
left in full screen, window or minimised. I'll have to check.

> I used to find VRPC co-existed better with underlying Windows activity
> if it was not running full-screen, but instead in a window that was very
> nearly full-screen in size.

I think that's what I see, too. I mainly work full screen

> It meant for example that one could drag that window almost off-screen
> to get at the underlying Windows stuff without having to force a mode change.
> IIRC I  used the thing (can't recall where it is) that allows one to create a
> virtual MDF to  define a window mode that was that almost-but-not-quite
> maximum size, then during RO  boot (which started off in a smaller display)
> issued the command to reset the in-use window  to my almost-but mode.

Some things to experiment with, thanks.
Barry

---