[Virtualacorn-list] RiscOS-MS file conversion

Jim Nagel vatory at abbeypress.co.uk
Tue May 23 01:04:50 BST 2017

I think Jeremy is right that PDF is probably the way to go, especially
if you don't intend people on the Windows side to edit the worksheets.
PDF, after all, is *portable* document format.

For your Techwriter files, you can just load them into Techwriter and
export directly as PDF -- it has its own PDF export facility. (Which
still requires that you have !Printers running.)

For drawfiles, load them into Draw and print via Steve Fryatt's
PrintPDF, as Jeremy said.  Alternatively, drop drawfile into Artworks
and use its built-in PDF export facility.

I use Keystroke quite a lot, but haven't ever tried to make it do the
above actions as a repetitive chore.  A vaguely similar example in the
Keystroke manual talks about generating a textfile list of the files
you want to act on, and then defining a complicated-sounding Keystroke
setup that sounds to me to invite frustration.

But having made such a textfile listing your files, it might be more
straightforward to make a Basic program that would invoke commandline
stuff to load and print-pdf each file, recursing through your list.
However, do such star-commands exist?

Another approach altogether:  If the school wants all this work done,
give the job to some computer adepts among the students.  Let them get
to know RiscOS!

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk